I came across this brilliant book yesterday by accident. I'm afraid I had never heard of it before but apparently it is a cult comic novel, first published in 1924. Augustus Carp is smug and self-satisfied, horrible but hilarious. Unlike Mr Pooter you don't sympathise with him at all and in fact you are full of glee anytime something goes wrong for the awful man.
It's a funny thing about cult books or films. You want to talk about them with other people, but on the other hand you don't want too many people to get to know about them ...
Day 139; Book 137
Coming soon, from Pixar…
-
Harry says this little scene was the culmination of “a classic washing-up
feud” at his office in London. (Kind of adorable, right? I would SO watch a
movie...
10 years ago
I own this book!
ReplyDeleteAs yet unread - I picked it up in a Mitchell library book sale a year ago, and I have been waiting for the right moment to read it! Now I will within the next few weeks - very nice to hear you recommend it.
Keep talking about your cult books and films, I love getting the skinny on what you really enjoy reading.